Wednesday, September 17

A little beer goes a loooong way

My most intriguing find so far is a beer that packs a six pack in its one tiny bottle. Its the Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA, and at 20% abv drinking one 12-ounce serving is equivalent to drinking six (We have a little disclaimer on our bottles at Coasters: if a customer orders one, that's their limit for the evening. Plus, each bottle costs $2o, so that's probably enough beer spendage for the customers, anyway.) Interestingly, too, the description online claims the beer to have 450 calories per 12-ounce serving. Hmm. This bottle packs a lot of punch.

Reading on the Web site, I've learned it is a limited edition brew and it was released 3 separate times in 2007, so I'm not sure if, and/or where (besides Coasters), you can still get your hands on any. But, beer is always worth a try, right? I haven't done so yet, but I am working on it.

Speaking of trying beer, we gave our second batch the grand opening as well. It turned out pretty good, I'd say, and I think I even like this modge-podge better than our first batch. As I told you when we were brewing the batch, we kicked the sugar amount up a notch in hopes of increasing the carbonation, and - OH Man, did we kick up the carbonation. One crack of the bottle cap sounds like the chorus of a six pack of soda being broken into. So, next time we'll be sure to find a happy medium. 

I was a little disappointed, though, that you can't really taste the orange peel. We were being really conservative with the amount we used because we didn't want the citrus to over-power the beer. Turns out, it would take A LOT of citrus to do just that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Lyssa! Florida sounds awesome. I am jealous of your job as a waitress-- one my yet unfulfilled dreams. I am going on the Lakefront Brewery tour tonight so I am pretty excited. Enjoy the sun, sand and beer :)