Thursday, September 11

Beer in Amherst ... ahem - where?!



Granted this was a couple of weeks ago already, but that doesn't mean it isn't worth writing about. What, already? Well, before I headed down here to Florida, I spent a weekend with some friends in the quaint little town of Amherst, right outside Steven's Point. Believe it or not, the city that doesn't even have stop lights has a brewery - and my friends and I made a point to check it out.

It's called Central Waters Brewery, and it was our first stop on our Amherst pub crawl. (The picture above is the group of sexy pub crawl attendees. We made a pretty big fuss at all the Amherst bars, seeing how they don't get that kind of action very often. Translation: free shots and drinks for being so cool.)

Anyway, back to the brewery. I was pretty impressed with the wide variety of beer the brewery offered. They don't do tours, but instead have open bar hours when you can come and sample all the beers. We started off with a sample platter of the beer selection so we could each decide which flavor we liked best before investing in a pint. Pretty much all the beers were good, although I had a bit of a harder time swallowing some of the darker beers, which were all tinted with a strong dose of coffee flavor (not a coffee drinker, sorry). I'm not sure how far they distribute, but if you can get your hands on any flavor I guarantee it would satisfy your beer craving for the day.

The brewery open-bar hours are a cool concept, and you can pretty much see everything from the bar area that you would on the tour anyhow. Here's a sneak-peek of me chilling in front of some of the beer-barrels with my friend and Amherst native, Alicia.

In a little less than three hours I start my first shift at Coaster's Pub. Wish me well in this new beer world, and I will be sure to report to you all of my findings.

1 comment:

misgator said...

ssooo wish i was ther instead of "chillin" in wisconsin